Yields: 2 dozen hors d'oeuvre
- 16 ounces (reduced fat) cream cheese, softened
- 3 pounds crab meat, flaked
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill weed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 dashes of hot red pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 5 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 heads of Belgian endive, separated into spears
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally. Add the crab meat, lemon juice, dill weed, salt, and hot sauce and beat until mixed. Stir in the celery.
- Spoon equal amounts of the cream cheese mixture onto the stem end of each endive spear. Okay, so personally-speaking the big chunks of fresh flaked crab meat and chopped celery did not want to easily be spooned onto the delicate endives. So instead I took a gallon-size Ziploc bag and cut off the tip and piped the mixture in. Really clean and nice take on everyone's makeshift pastry bag. Garnish with sprigs of dill weed. Serve immediately or chill, covered, for up to 12 hours.
Recipe adapted from: